Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, June 01, 2007

GONE TO SEED

I probably grumble about this every season, but the darn dandelions are really driving me nuts! If it wasn’t for all of them “going to seed” it wouldn’t be necessary to mow the campground. The grass sure isn’t growing because it is so dry, but the lions are flourishing!

This is what I don’t comprehend; they’ve gone to seed. They are on 6-10” stems. You mow them down, cut them off and the very next day, they are all back again! Will someone please explain that phenomenon to me??? And it has been so hot and DRY; it is like mowing in a dust bowl in spots. The only saving grace is the bugs aren’t bad. I haven’t had to put Off on yet….as long as I stay ON the mower and keep it running. But it has been very sunny so I do the right thing and slather on suntan lotion. By the time I get done mowing through all the “gone to seed” dandelions, I look like I’ve been tarred and feathered. Those seeds just find suntan lotion irresistible. I finally had to stop mowing today just so I could come in and “shave” my face and clean out my eyes. I had all I could do to keep from jumping in for a quick shower and putting clean clothes on, but I had to finish mowing so expending all that energy wouldn’t have made much sense.

The Weather Wizards, ALL OF THEM, keep putting our chances of rain back by a day, every day. Even the grass over the drain field is brown, so that gives you an idea of how dry it is up here. You can see how far down the Tahquamenon River is by where the roots of plants are now exposed (that even a couple of weeks ago were under water). I’ve been filling the loader bucket up with water just to keep water to a bunch of Siberian Elms and some kind of hardy willows that we planted a couple of years ago. They are beginning to look pale.

Dan has one more week of PT and then he is on his own. He has been doing so much better with this knee replacement than he did last year. There are still a lot of things that he shouldn’t do, like heavy lifting, so trying to get him to behave himself can be a challenge!

TASA has started some brushing this week on the North trail. President Bob Brown, AKA Trail Boss Bob, and Groomer Bob have been out on the trail with the groomer and front mounted brush hog most of this week. I haven’t talked with him to see how far they have gotten. I’m sure the bugs are bad out there!

There isn’t much going on to talk about, but please keep checking back every once in a while. And don’t forget to check for events in our area by going to www.newberrychamber.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive