Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

BUSY IN DA U.P, EH?

Sorry I haven’t posted in a while, but we have been BUSY!!! It seems like no matter how much we do in the fall before we close the campground till spring, there is always a whole bunch of stuff to get done in the spring. And then there is the grass to mow…and mow…and mow. And of course we’ve had to fit in some mushrooming (finding a few blacks, but they are sparse).

There aren’t a lot of campers (or traveler’s of any kind) in our area yet. We’ve heard that Mackinaw City has gotten off to a good start to the season. We have had more campers so far this May than last May, so we hope that is a good sign.

I have to tell you about one of the male hummingbirds that is “living here”. First, for those of you who don’t pay much attention to birds, the male hummers are usually the first to arrive in May, then you’ll start seeing females a week or so later. THIS year, we had a female appear first. Then we finally saw two males. The female has recently made her self scarce (hopefully she hasn’t left the area, but with two courting males to contend with….hmmmm), so the other day when I looked out the window and saw the male hummer “courting” in the vicinity of one of the lilac bushes, I thought the female must be close by. When the males “court”, they fly in a wide arc and make a “clicking” noise, which was what this little guy was doing. I knew he wouldn’t be paying any attention to me, so I went to the window to see where the female hummer was. HE WAS ZOOMING A MALE WHITE CAPPED SPARROW!!!! The other bird seemed totally oblivious to the hummer’s advances and display of prowess. Now, THAT is sad!!! Do you suppose National Geographic has ever done a story on “horny hummers” and lack of companionship??

It is supposed to be a beautiful day today with highs in the 70’s. So far the bugs haven’t been bad at all, but then it has been pretty dry. I need to get a bunch of mowing done between now and tomorrow afternoon because there IS rain in our forecast. With gas being $3.44 a gallon and buying 12 gallons at a time for all of our mowers, it even is expensive to mow the grass! I normally keep the grass well manicured but I’ve let it get about 4-5” high in places so now I have to get my Lawn Ranger apparel on and get busy!

For those of you coming up this way, regardless of where you stay, make sure you have plenty of bug spray (we use Deep Woods Off). As I said, the bugs aren’t bad yet, but they will be if you are closer to the woods AND you DO need to be constantly aware of the possibility of picking up a tick, so don’t forget to protect your pets too.

We do hope you will include a stay with us. Don’t forget you can visit us at www.northcountrycampground.com.

Catch ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive