Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, April 23, 2007

WELCOME SWEET SPRING!

The weather has been TOO warm! AT least for this time of year! Yesterday we were over 70° and this morning we are at 55°. Today it is supposed to be more seasonable temps and tonight down into the 30’s. If Dan wasn’t concerned about his recovery being hampered by being cold, I would have opened ALL the bedroom windows last night! We were supposed to get some rain over night, but that didn’t happen. I hope we get it today because it won’t be long and our fire danger will be high. That seems hard to believe when there are still snow banks out here melting! And the frogs are “chirping”!! One of my favorite sounds! AND I heard a kill deer! We haven’t seen OR heard one in about 3 years!

Dan and I (and his walker) took a walk yesterday to our woods and back, so it was about ½ mile round trip. He did pretty well, but I was having a hard time. It hurts my hips to walk slowly. I told him I was going to walk ahead and sit on one of the picnic tables while he caught up. He got close to the area where I was at and I said “Look over head!” There were 3 turkey buzzards circling! He said “I guess I better walk a little faster! They must think I’m lunch!” Funny guy!

I follow the hummingbird migration map and as of 4/22 they (or at least one!) have been spotted as far north as Gaylord so I DID put out a feeder yesterday. I put out the oriole feeder yesterday too, but I didn’t put an orange on it or grape jelly. Oranges are too expensive to buy for the birds, so I used ½ an apple and some plum jelly…it was what I had on hand. No one has visited that feeder yet. I’ve been watching for the tree swallows and they showed up yesterday and we also saw a pair of blue birds. The trees are getting great big buds on them…I think spring IS HERE!!!! It is just about time to post my ODE TO A MOWER!

There is going to be an energy fair in Newberry this weekend. All the important info can be found on the Newberry Chamber website at http://www.newberrychamber.net/. Considering what our Newberry Water and Light Company is doing to its customers, the timing could NOT be better! I doubt any of us will all of a sudden be able to sport windmills on our property, but we might get some good ideas. BTW, the issue with our electric company is a HOT topic and there has been a couple of public meetings and at least one more planned. They have put a “multiplier” (I don’t know what else to call it) on each electric bill and for the past 3 months that multiplier has increased dramatically. For a mild example, on a $65.00 light bill, this multiplier added another $35.00. So conceivably the way things are going, this summer when we have a campground light bill of $650, with this addition, it could EASILY be $1000. Think how this has already affected the grocery stores! Anyway, if you are in the area, try to attend this function!

Catch ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive