Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, April 06, 2007

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

To quote Donna Summers Enough is Enough (AKA No More Tears). It has blown and “snown” for what seems like forever. Why couldn’t this have happened in December??? We’ve got drifts that are up to just above the door knob of the barn. There is a “shawl” made out of snow hanging off the bathhouse roof. For 3 or 4 mornings, I’ve had to have Dan “shovel off” my satellite dish for my internet connection. Fortunately, it is right outside one of the bedroom windows so it is easy to get to. However, I tried to do it this morning and the window is frozen shut (and Dan is still sleeping).

The phone has been constantly ringing, the emails are flying; “Is there enough snow to ride? Where can we get to the trails”, etc. Who would have thought we’d be riding sleds during Easter time??? Yes, there IS enough snow for riding. There is at least 18” in some places, more and less in others. The problem you will have IS getting to the trails because the State will not pay for us to have the staging areas plowed out this time of year. And remember, the gates on our leased property ARE closed for the season. Do NOT go around ANY closed gates. You MUST stay on state ground.

And that poor little blue bird that arrived early…we haven’t seen him since this weather moved in. I’m afraid he died. There are SO many birds at the feeders though. We didn’t see this many birds all winter long. The snow is up to my knees…and my boots are not. But I waded through and got the little critters fed.

Dan developed a bad cold last week and of course, we share everything so now while he is pretty much over it, I am just getting it. Because of my “dangerously low” white blood count, I try to be so very careful to not be around sick people, but that isn’t always possible. The Drs office said he can still have his surgery next week as long as nothing changes, and that even if I am sick, I can bring him to the hospital as long as I stay away from other patients. The last place a person with a low WBC wants to be is at a hospital! You bet, I’ll stay away from everyone I can!

Kay, from Grand Marais, said that their town Easter egg hunt is this Saturday…in all of this snow. I suggested not even coloring the eggs and just hiding them. It would take till this melts for the little kids to find them.

Do you remember hunting Easter eggs as a kid? I remember one year that I had about a dozen of them. I think a couple of days after Easter I had about 6 left and my Mom told me that they had to be eaten or thrown out. I told her I didn’t want the pretty shells cracked open and no one was going to eat them…and then I hid them in my dresser. I don’t know why Mom didn’t think any more about it until she noticed this awful stench coming from the area of my room. She thought there was a dead mouse someplace in my room. I think the eggs had been in my under-wear drawer for about a week before Mom figured it out. By then even I was about gagging from the odor. My under-wear drawer never smelled like cedar again …no matter what Mom did. I can’t remember her telling me if she ever did get the smell out of my clothes or not. I think this was one of the times my Mom used the phrase “Wait till you have kids of your own!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive