Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, March 01, 2007

WHAT IS IN THERE ANYWAY???

Have you seen the new commercial for Aveeno skin cream?? After learning that it is now made with Shitake mushrooms, I’m wondering if you add some seasoning and a bit of cream cheese if you could make a cracker spread with it? I realize that there is a difference between Shitake mushrooms and the good, old stand by of sponge (moral) mushrooms, but the idea of putting any mushroom in a skin cream and then applying it to my face just doesn’t sit right with me. Michigan Mushrooms are meant to be hunted, cleaned, rolled in flour and fried in butter…not applied to my face. “Exotic” mushrooms from other areas, (the one’s you buy in the store, not on the corner), are to be used in salads, casseroles, fancy dishes…things like that. I think I need to start paying closer attention to what is actually in some of the products that I use.

And speaking of mushrooms, that season won’t be far off. When Dan and I use to live downstate, we would travel to the Mesick area, camp out in the woods and hunt mushrooms. We would actually do this sometimes in early April and we WOULD find mushrooms…the early kind, not the grays or the blacks. One time when we were camped there, a policeman came knocking on our camper door and wanted to know what we were doing out in the woods that time of year. We told him we were mushrooming and he didn’t believe us so we had to show him what was in our cooler! It kind of made us mad that he didn’t believe us, but it was rather funny to see the look on his face. I don’t know if he thought we were out their making drugs or what, but I couldn’t help but wonder why HE would be WAY out there “on patrol” that time of year. Anyway, I digress. Up here, we can find PLENTY of beef steak mushrooms. They come up regardless of what the weather has been. And we know we are going to find a lot of sponge mushrooms IF the black flies and mosquitoes are bad. Who in the heck wants to give up looking for the “elusive mushroom” just because you have applied a whole can of Off and are wearing mosquito netting over your head??? It seems that the years that we aren’t bothered by these winged creatures, we don’t have near the mushrooms…and it all has to stem from the fact that if we have a wet spring, we have more bugs. AND a wet spring and the right temps are perfect to make mushrooms “pop up”.

OK, I admit, I’m getting some what anxious for spring. I’m not quite ready to say good bye to the snowmobilers, but now that the birds are singing their spring songs and it is daylight earlier each day, I can’t help but think of spring!

And speaking of spring and daylight; Beginning in 2007, most of the United States begins Daylight Saving Time at 2:00 a.m. on the second Sunday in March and reverts to standard time on the first Sunday in November. In the U.S., each time zone switches at a different time. SO, on March 11, 2007 we set our clocks ahead. Up until this year, the switch was an April occurrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive