Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

NUTTIN MUCH

I can’t wait to get out of this “yuck” weather mode. It seems the snow is SLOW to melt, even with all the warm temps, rain and fog. This is a very boring time of year. There is only so much we can do to get ready for the summer business when the weather is like this. At least this year, I don’t have to get help to “unstack” the picnic tables! Last fall, when we were closing the campground down for the season, we knew there was a good chance that Dan would be having his other knee replaced this spring, so we didn’t move the tables all to one area and stack them and tie them together. If you recall, I had a very difficult time last spring finding help to get them “unstacked”, then I had to individually load each one into the loader bucket, take it to the site it belonged on, take it out of the bucket, etc etc. 50 tables don’t seem like much until you have to get off and on and off and on the loader 150 times! I’ve got about 15 of them that I need to stain this spring.

Dan is getting “geared” up for his surgery and asking me to make sure I’ve got plenty of home made cookies on hand for him (it helps him build up his strength…hmmmm, that’s a new one). We decided to make a double batch of Amish sugar cookies the other day. I was at the fridge, getting out a stick of margarine and I tossed it to him. Now, both of us SAW it leave my hand, we SAW it fly through the air, but it never reached Dan’s hand and we couldn’t find it. The kitchen is NOT that big! I seriously thought we had discovered a black hole in my kitchen! We never heard it hit the floor, never heard it land on the counter. You can’t imagine what a creepy feeling it is to witness something like that and no sign of the margarine any place. In a little bit, Dan started chuckling and said “I found it.” When I tossed the stick of margarine to him, some how my “toss” was off a smidgen and the margarine had encountered a cupboard handle on its way to Dan’s hands. It was stuck on the handle! Almost cut right in half! Until he had found it, I had entertained thoughts in those 3 minutes of the missing margarine of NOW being able to figure out where the socks go when they don’t come out of the dryer.

As you know, our snowmobile season is over for this year and we are slowly getting rid of the snow. LAST weekend, while Dan and I were sitting in the living room, watching TV, I said “There goes a snowmobile across the campground!” At first I couldn’t believe my eyes and thought I was seeing things. We don’t even allow our guests to ride where we haven’t plowed and we don’t plow the campground! We watched it go around the backside of the campground and it finally came back so we could see it came from the house to the south of us. I don’t call the people that live there our neighbors because they have been nothing but trouble since they moved in…between them and their dogs. I called the police, which I truly felt bad in doing. NOT because of turning this guy in, but because of all the cut backs and it being Sunday I didn’t know how busy the State Police post would be, or if there would be anyone who wasn’t taking care of something more important than this that could come out. In the meantime, this guy kept zooming around the campground; sometimes he was alone (no helmet) and some times he had a kid on the back (no helmet). We could tell he was going down the nature trail and back by the sewage lagoon (AKA Poop Pond…for those of you who have been reading my blog for a while, you will recall that story and photo???) There are signs at both ends of the nature trail that state “NO VEHICLES BEYOND THIS POINT!” The State Police called back about 20 minutes later and said they did not have anyone they could send and wanted to know if this was still going on. I told them he was continuing riding all over and was now even riding back by the sewage lagoon. The State Police said they would try to get Under-Sheriff Mike Jago to come out. Mike arrived and I apologized for having to bother him on his day off. We gave him the info and he left to go talk with “the neighbor”. He came back and told us that the “kid” admitted he had been riding over here, didn’t realize it was private property (yeah, right…after all the discussions we have had with these people???). Mike said “You should have realized it when you saw the sewage lagoon.” He SHOULD have realized it when he crossed the fence line, saw the bathhouse, the 500 gallon propane tank, all the campground pedestals, etc. Don’t ya just love people and their excuses?? He assured Under Sheriff Jago that he wouldn’t do it again. Anyway, all winter long, for several winters, we have not had an issue with anyone riding across our property or even our guests not riding where we haven’t plowed, but ya get to the very end of the season and then ya get a yahoo like this. We haven’t put our snow boots on to go out and check the backside of the campground to make sure he didn’t mow any of our new trees over, or didn’t hit any buried risers in the snow. I WAS ready to head out yesterday and chase their darn dogs out of the campground though. It is bad enough that we sometimes have to clean up after our guest’s dogs, but it REALLY irritates me when our “neighbors” dogs come over here and poop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive