Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, February 04, 2007

OTHER DANGERS OF COLD WEATHER FOR PETS

You all know by now Dan and I are pet people and animal lovers (you also know I hate spiders and am not overly fond of snakes that take me by surprise). With this cold weather, obviously precautions need to be taken for pets and other animals, be they inside or outside critters.

And you know our two dogs, Nick and Chewy, are definitely inside critters, but even at that, we don’t leave them outside for longer than it takes to complete their rituals in this weather. Nick can take the cold a bit better than Chewy, after all he IS a Husky. When Chewy sticks her nose out the door, if she doesn’t like the look of things, you can’t get her away from the door; she squats right there and rapidly turns around and comes in….usually.

All the precautions you can take to safeguard your pets, there is one that I think the experts forgot to mention or just didn’t know how to put it, delicately. I can’t imagine that Chewy is the only little girl dog that this could have happened to.

A couple of mornings ago when it was bitter cold and there was about 4” of snow on the deck she DID decide to go down her handicap ramp to the ground. She assumed the squatting position and when she got done, she kind of jumped up and whimpered. I figured her little feet were already cold, so I went out to get her, but she quickly scampered up the ramp. She spent a lot of time that day trying to (and there IS no delicate way to put this) lick her “personals”. I finally got Dan to hold her, belly side up (which is about like trying to work on a turtle that is trying to flip back over) to examine her and it looked like she had frost bit (or freezer burned) “that area”. No wonder she was so miserable. We used Neosporin to hopefully help with the discomfort and then we put Vaseline on that area so when she does go out, hopefully she doesn’t create ice and adhere to the ground again! OUCH AND DARN!!!

I got up about 4 a.m. today and it was -4°. The Wizards tell us the wind chill is -28°. I had water in both lines in the kitchen, but in the bathroom, there was no cold water in either one of the sinks, only hot water and in the tub there was no water at all. I got the heat gun out to thaw those lines out, which happily did not take too long, but then I discovered the water wouldn’t drain from the tub! So, I ran the heat gun along that area on the backside and it finally went down.

And my darn hives have started turning up around my lips and my eyes when my face is exposed outside! I guess I’ll have to start wearing a scarf around my lips and blinders over my eyes! I was so embarrassed yesterday when I got a look at my lips. I KNOW a lot of women pay dearly for lips like that, but on me, it DID look like surgery gone awry. If anyone had asked me to say “Brrrrrr!!!!!”, I’d still be saying it because those lips, once they got going, would not stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive