Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, February 12, 2007

BROOMSTICKS AND EASTER BUNNIES

It has been time to replace the broom in the Little Lodge for quite some time. I just never think about it until I am cleaning after a guest checks out. I don’t think about putting it on my errand list but yesterday, I DID finally remember!

Since the brooms in our cabins and Little Lodge seem to serve all kinds of purposes (sweeping snow off from vehicles in particular), we don’t buy expensive brooms. I figured I could get a replacement at the Family Dollar store….which I did.

One wouldn’t think there could be so many choices in a broom, particularly at a Family Dollar store. There was one they called “small”. It would be perfect for getting around tight corners, behind the fridge, things like that. But for doing the whole kitchen floor it could be time consuming. Then there was the one that was called “large”…BIGGER version of the small one. Perfect for sweeping out mangers and horse stalls. Wouldn’t take to corners kindly. And instead of gently coaxing cob webs out of the corners of the ceiling, you could use it to harvest Spanish Moss off from trees. Then there was the old fashioned straw broom with a WOODEN handle (the other two have plastic handles) It stood about 6’ tall and weighed about 5 pounds. The “straw” appeared as though it was actually made out of large slivers of wood and that the ends had been cut off with pinking shears. All I could see it would be good for is STIRRING up the dirt. A kid couldn't even use it to pretend it was a horse and the kid was a cowboy for fear of an allergy attack....or knocking over furniture.

Then there was the dust pan. I wasn’t sure if Dan had thrown the other one away so I figured I better pick up another one, just in case. THERE WERE AT LEAST 6 DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF A DUST PAN! And probably as many colors to choose from. I just stuck with the shiny, chrome looking one. Probably the dirt won’t show so much on it! HA!

As I was headed to the check out lane, I walked by the Valentine display. All those little boxes of little Valentine cards; brought back memories. When we were in school, it was a big deal; ya decorated a box, usually an old shoe box, with red crepe paper, glued heart shaped construction paper all over it, made sure there was a slot in the top so your classmates could drop your Valentine card into your box….do they still do that in school? I think the last year we did it was 2nd grade.

It was hard enough for me to realize that Valentines day, FEBRUARY 14TH, is THIS week! Where has this month gone??!!! While I was finally adjusting to THAT thought, I then found myself walking by EASTER CANDY!!! STUFFED EASTER BUNNIES!!! I had to come home and look at the calendar to see if Easter had been moved to February! Or even early March!! I think April 8th is a few weeks off yet so I can’t imagine buying all that stuff NOW; can you hear the kids??? ‘OW!!! I broke my tooth on this rock hard candy!’ or “Mom, why did the Easter Bunny bring me fuzzy, green candy?”

Am I getting OLD or what??? (Or will the candy be old!)

Something else for you to look at your calendar for....check out when we change the time this year! Yep, this is the year that starts the new time. Instead of changing in April, we change in March! ARRGGHHH!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive