Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, January 13, 2007

NUTTIN MUCH

I know it has been a while since I’ve written anything of a personal nature (except the 4 a.m.snow dance with Chaka Khan and Lady Marmalade). There hasn’t been much going on around the “Lucy and Ricky” (that is what one of my readers calls Dan and I) household except waiting for snow, complaining about the weather (or lack of, I mean), baking a lot of bread with my new bread maker and making cookies with my (replaced) new mixer….and if you ask Dan he would say we’ve been playing too much of “that damn tile game”. He is referring to Uno Rummy Up.

I have learned something about that “damn tile game” and the hard plastic tiles that you use to play the game. You don’t leave the cardboard box that contains the parts for the game on top of the electric roasting oven at 350° for 20 minutes. I don’t even know if you could successfully leave it there for 10 minutes, but 20 for sure is too long.

We can now tell, by feel, which numbered tile we are drawing by the peculiar shape of it. Blue # 8 and green # 4 are shaped as if they’d been cut out of fun house mirror. There are about 5 tiles that got literally bent out of shape. And this game was hard to come by so I sure don’t want anything to happen to it! But maybe that is why Dan didn’t think to tell me I better remove that box from the top of that little roasting oven….maybe HE HOPED it would explode into a mini bonfire.

Dan is planning on plowing out the roads to our cabins today. He had the roads all nicely established but the crazy weather with the warm ups and then no snow, they didn’t hold up. So, he has to “create” them again. And I suppose I’ll have to bake some more cookies. That seems to be the only way I can get him to sit at the table and play Uno Rummy Up!

I am not a baseball or football fanatic, not by any means but I thought maybe you might enjoy this story;

Unprecedented court ruling in Detroit, Michigan
Detroit, MI (AP) - A seven-year-old boy was at the center of a Detroit courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.

The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulations requiring that family unity be maintained to the degree possible


The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then sugges ted that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried out that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.
After two recesses to check legal references and confer with child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Detroit Lions, whom the boy and the court firmly believe are not capable of beating anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive