VALLEJO, Calif. (AP) -
A fire that started in a California man's pants pocket, critically injuring him and destroying his hotel room, was not ignited by a cellphone as authorities suspected, phone technicians said.
Nokia Corp. engineers found the charred device still worked Wednesday and persuaded fire department investigators it had not spontaneously ignited in Luis Picaso's pocket.
"He could have been smoking a cigarette, the cigarette fell into his pocket and it started on fire," Vallejo fire inspector Bill Tweedy said.
"We don't know that. We weren't there."
The fire caused about US$75,000 in damage to the residential hotel and a ground-floor business. Picaso, 59, was in critical condition Thursday with second-and third-degree burns to his upper body, right arm and right leg.
The fire apparently started in Picaso's pants pocket while he slept on a plastic lawn chair in his room, authorities said. Picaso is under heavy sedation and doesn't seem to remember what happened, Tweedy said.
(I CAN THINK OF ALL KINDS OF LEAD INS FOR THIS STORY; SMOKE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM, CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW, REACH OUT AND TOUCH SOMEONE)
- Cathy Clementz
- A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!