Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, January 29, 2007

DOGGY INFO

I want to pass this “doggy info” along to you in case any of you might be having any similar issues with your “dog kids”.

It seems that for the past two winters, my little dog, Chewy, gets to feeling bad. Last year, a vet I took her to said it was arthritis and put her on Rimadyl. I finally decided it was her pancreas and tried different things with her diet. She has always been on special food because of her many allergies, but last year we tried the Hills Prescription canned dog food and it seemed to help. As I recall, she was “this way” for about 2 months last winter. So this past month (December) when she started walking around, kind of hunched up, tail down between her legs, I changed her food back to the Hills and it wasn’t making any difference. So I tried the Rimadyl, which if you have read anything about it, I will only use it as a last resort. Rimadyl and a “pancreatic attack” do not go together well; the Rimadyl can make it worse. So I took her off the Rimadyl after 5 days.

She has gotten so she doesn’t want to be held or cuddled; just wants to be on your lap. She’s been that way for about a year now and we are thinking it might be because her old, granny bones DO hurt.

While still trying to figure out what was ailing her this winter and why she wasn’t getting any better AT all (but wasn’t getting any worse either), I picked her up and she felt really bloated and she did pass gas when I picked her up. I did some research online and found out that one thing that is good for a dog with gas is plain, NON FAT, NO artificial sweeteners yogurt…1/2 tsp with each meal. The bacteria in the yogurt help aid with digestion. So I tried that and it seemed she was improving ever so slightly.

I also found that there are “medicines” you can purchase for these problems, so I talked with our vet about one that I had found that is called Acidophilus. It has the same “stuff” in it that the yogurt has plus extra minerals and vitamins. So, she has been getting that in her food 2x a day for about 4 days and she IS feeling better. She has gotten so she refused to eat the Hills food unless it is hidden in with ground turkey and rice and another special food that is called Purina HA.

Dan and I also think that part of Chewy’s problem is that even dogs can get depressed this time of year, especially dogs that are cold no matter what the temperature. She isn’t outside as much this time of year, I don’t take her for walks unless it is a really warm day (her feet freeze and she won’t wear the booties). So, we think that between her being depressed and the diet thing that is what her problem is.

If any of you have experienced similar issues and have found a solution or even close to a solution or have any thoughts on the subject, I’d appreciate hearing from you. You can email at cclementz@lighthouse.net or post a response.


On a different matter, I don't know if any of you have followed the story of Barbaro (the horse that was injured in the Ky Derby) but he has another BAD issue going on which is making it impossible for him to stand on that leg. The vets are trying to fix this abcess, but he has had so many setbacks since the original injury that I'm having my doubts that they will continue to try to "make him better". How sad...he has fought so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive