Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, December 03, 2006

SNOWMOBILING IN DA U.P. OF MICHIGAN, EH!

The picture that is with this report is of the elusive White Precipitus….she is the snow goddess of the Eastern U.P. We leave her chocolate offerings in hopes that she will dump a bunch of snow on our area. We also do the Heike Lunta snow dance and song. Some people say they do this in the all together…hmmmm, no one has sent me a photo of that yet!

Our area managed to squeak out about 7” of fluffy snow!! It is supposed to remain cold for the next several days so hopefully this IS the start of winter!

I’ve already heard snowmobiles someplace to the south west of us…not sure what they are riding on because this snow is fluffy and the roads are not snow covered. I know there isn’t enough snow on the trails yet to help much.

I just want to remind those of you who read my Yarns and who ARE snowmobilers that even though December 1 WAS the official start of snowmobile season in Michigan, there are a LOT of trails in the U.P. that do NOT open until after muzzle loading season. For the purposes of what I’m writing here, I’m going to just be talking about the TASA trail system. This is property on which TASA has a lease or leases with the property owner. The owners of that property might be hunters and do not allow access across their property until after muzzle loading season is done. In The U.P. muzzle loading season ends at sundown December 10th. That means, if there IS snow, that those gates will be open December 11th. If by chance we have snow prior to that time, DO NOT GO AROUND CLOSED GATES!!! Sledders and atv’ers who ride around closed gates put TASA leases in jeopardy. If there is enough snow on the trails for you to ride, you will need to trailer North to at least the 3 Mile Staging area and ride NORTH on trail # 9. I cannot stress this enough, so please help get the word out there and let others know how serious this issue is. Those of us that benefit from having you enjoy your snowmobile on the U.P. trails are just as anxious for you to come up and play as you are! But we gotta abide by the rules…and this one is USE IT AND LOSE IT.

From here on out a lot of my Yooper Yarn stuff will be about snow and snowmobiling and trail reports…and message boards. There might be a day or two in a row that I don’t actually get anything on the Yooper Yarn site because of my other commitments through the winter. But just keep checking and feel free to post messages and don’t forget that you can also post messages on the Northcountry guest book at http://users3.smartgb.com/g/g.php?a=s&i=g31-01953-78 Once you are there, book mark it so you don’t have to look it up again!

If I can help with anything, don’t hesitate to email me or PLEASE feel free to post messages on Yooper Yarns too! Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive