Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, December 10, 2006

GET OUT IN THAT KITCHEN AND RATTLE THOSE POTS AND PANS

Some of you may remember that a while ago I sold my 308 rifle and purchased some kitchen appliances. So far, I’ve made a ton of bread with the new bread maker…but no cookies. Dan has clued me in about the lack of cookies. He has clued me in often. He has also told me about the lack of fudge and since Christmas isn’t far off, why isn’t there any fudge in the house?? It is bad enough that the new mixer hasn’t even creamed anything yet, but NO FUDGE???

I’ve tried to explain to Dan that the purpose of taking cholesterol medicine is to assist in LOWERING cholesterol and triglycerides and that the med is not a magic bullet. I’ve recently explained to him that after I have MY lab work done on Tuesday, I’ll start baking and fudging like there is NO tomorrow! I’ve also explained that at least ½ of what I’m making WILL end up in the freezer because we are NOT going to make it disappear in a couple of days! Dan is not over weight by any means, but no sense teasing the both of us having the goodies just sitting around, right?

That is what Dan’s Mom use to think too…only I think she hid the fudge and cookies out of utter desperation. You know; all that hard work only to have it vanish within hours. Cholesterol and all the little things that go along with it was not an issue “back in the day”. Hiding it was a way of making sure there was still some left to sit out on the table come Christmas.

She hid her fudge VERY well. So well in fact that Dan and I found a coffee can full of “hairy” chocolate fudge 9 months after Christmas! Dan’s Mom had passed away in September of 1985 and as we were cleaning out cupboards, etc I can across a coffee can stuck WAY in the back of a cupboard…and it was full of hairy chocolate fudge! We remembered her remarking at the previous Christmas “I could have sworn I made more fudge than this! Those darn kids must’ve found it!” Yeah, about 9 months later!

So, Dan is concerned that I might hide Christmas cookies and fudge and forget where I put them. I assured him that by BOTH of us knowing the cookies would be in the freezer, they weren’t really hidden, right? They were just being detained for a bit. Of course, his come back was, “Well then, if I get hungry for cookies, I’ll just get them out!” I let him know that the cookies that would be in the freezer would be all cut out AND READY TO BAKE AT 350° FOR 8-10 MINUTES! PROBLEM SOLVED! Dan wouldn’t be desperate enough to bake them, cool them, mix up frosting and frost them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive