Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, November 16, 2006

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!

After PT yesterday I had my re-check with my orthopedic surgeon. He asked me how I was doing and I gladly told him ‘THIS IS THE BEST I HAVE FELT IN YEARS! And I DO mean years!! I had no idea how bad I have felt for so long! I can tip my head back and look up; I can look left and right! The constant pain in my shoulder blade is pretty much gone too!!” I also told him that even though I’ve enjoyed knowing him, I hope I don’t have to see him again for a long time…he said I still have to see him in two months just to make sure things are still progressing. I CAN HANDLE THAT!!!

To me it is incredible how that apparently all these years of suffering with this neck problem was all related to my rotator cuff, torn bicep and labrum (and all the other little tears that were going on in there). 2 years ago, I even had an MRI done on my neck and nothing showed up as wrong. At the same time I had the MRI on my shoulder done too. The orthopedist that I was seeing at that time suggested the traction contraption (that story is in the archives) for my neck and just a shot of cortisone for my shoulder. I found a different Dr after that. Those of you that have been with me for a while know that I ended up having MAJOR surgery on my left shoulder about 18 months ago and then the labrum repair done this October. I had intensive therapy for the rotator cuff repair and for the bicep and tendon repairs.

Anyway, long story as short as I can make it, after that major surgery, my neck didn’t bother me any more. I could sleep at night with a large fluffy pillow instead of a pancake. I still couldn’t look up for very long or look over my shoulders but I was so use to that I just figured that was the way my neck had been forever. About 3 months ago, my neck started bothering me at night again and had to go back to a pancake for a pillow, and then my shoulder blade was hurting terribly almost all of the time. Now, with the labrum repair and having therapy again we have found out that all of this was brought on because of how weak my left side is. For three weeks I have had sonic heat treatments, manipulations, massages (some of them quite painful) and exercises. I still have a couple of spots on my shoulder blade area that feel like there are big marbles underneath the skin and we can’t get those to break up. Yesterday, the therapist decided it was time to check my strength so we went into the weight room. She started me out with a 2 pound, then a 3 pound, then a 4 pound weight. When we got to the 5 pound weight, I could lift it just fine with my RIGHT side (up and over my head for that matter), but when we tried with my left side, I couldn’t even get it to shoulder level (by holding it and raising my arm straight out from my side). So next week we will concentrate of strengthening exercises because if I don’t get most of the strength back then I’ll end up with the same shoulder blade and neck issues. AND THIS HAS EVEN IMPROVED MY POSTURE!

All of this might not sound like much to get excited about but I didn’t realize how bad I really DID feel until I got to feeling this much better!

The Dr said I didn’t really have any restrictions other than to try to not lift too much weight (like that’ll be a problem). I have decided to sell my Remington 308 rifle though. I don’t think I would ever be a good shot with it again. It does have quite a kick and I don’t want to take ANY chances of messing this all up! I use to practice with that rifle until my shoulder would turn green and yellow…I doubt that would be good for my shoulder!

I'll admit that I am the last person to stick with any type of an exercise program, but for this I COMMIT MYSELF TO DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive