Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

FROM RIFLES TO TOASTERS

Since all the problems with my left shoulder, I decided I could no longer comfortably and accurately shoot my rifle so I sold it. I had a Remington 308, bolt action (left handed). I really enjoyed target practicing with that rifle; so much so that a day of practicing would turn my shoulder an interesting kaleidoscope of blue, green and yellow.

I was concerned that I’d have a difficult time selling it (once I finally talked myself into it) since it is a left handed model. I advertised it on Tradio and sold it that evening. Now, I need to see if it as easy to sell my left handed bow!

Hunting just hasn’t been as much fun for me in the past several years, mainly because of the hives that I get when I get chilled or damp and the fact that it WOULD BE NICE TO SEE SOME DEER! I use to be gung ho about sitting before daylight and waiting for deer to come in, but in our neck of the woods (and in fact I think the whole Eastern U.P.) the population is down so much that ya just don’t see many deer. The one’s we DO see are crossing the campground or running along side the car as we travel down M-28!

Dan and I use to take two to three weeks off from work (this is when we lived downstate) and come to the Western side of the U.P. with our camper or 5th wheel and just camp out in the middle of the woods. We saw ALL KINDS OF DEER. There was never an issue of going home without venison…and we did not shoot small deer. They were good sized deer. And we always had such a good time, just being together and camping, away from it all. Fond memories.

Anyway, with my shoulder and my hives and my frostbitten toes, I guess I’ll have to be more “sensible” with my life now. With the money I got from the rifle I am getting some much needed kitchen appliances; like a new, 4 slice, wide slot toaster. Our’s has gotten to the point you could brown your bread with a match quicker than it makes toast! AND did you know they now make toasters that will toast just ONE SIDE OF A BAGEL INSTEAD OF BOTH SIDES!!! Heck it has been so long since I’ve had a bagel that was actually toasted, THAT will be a treat! When our toaster does decide to fly right, it usually burns one side and dries out the other. So, yes, a new toaster is at the top of the list. Then there will be a new BIG mixer, one with some horse power for mixing up double batches of Amish Sugar Cookies (in making these cookies, to get the last bit of flour into the mix, I actually have to KNEAD it in so the big mixer will be NICE!). And a BIG bread maker; who doesn’t like homemade bread??? But ya know, maybe with that big mixer I won’t need the bread maker (again, shoulder considerations…) Then I guess I better see about some kind of a cupboard to put all this stuff in! (I've got some smaller items on my list too!)

I don’t enjoy shopping, never have. I don’t know how I survived "the shopping experience" before the Internet. BUT I am armed with my list and plan on heading to the Soo. What I can’t get there, I know I can get online! (I also don't like paying shipping and handling!) I’ve already checked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive