The following story is just one example of what we’ve been exposed to lately as far as food safety.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -
Tomatoes eaten in restaurants were probably the source of an outbreak of Salmonella food poisoning that sickened 183 people in 21 states and Canada, federal health officials said on Friday.
The outbreak is over and is no longer a threat, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. But 22 people were sick enough to be admitted to hospitals, the CDC's Dr. Christopher Braden, Chief of Outbreak Response and Surveillance, told reporters.
"We identified tomatoes eaten in restaurants as the cause of this outbreak," Braden told a telephone briefing.
Braden said there was no evidence pointing to any single restaurant or type of restaurant.
From what we can see, it's across the board," he said.
Salmonella can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. It can cause fever, bloody diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.
"Now that we have a specific food commodity, FDA has initiated a trace-back," Dr. David Acheson of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration told the briefing. He said the FDA would try to find where the restaurants had purchased their tomatoes.
"In particular, FDA is working closely with the states of Minnesota, Massachusetts, and Connecticut, since groups of illnesses were specifically reported in these states," the agency said in a statement.. (There was more to the story but that is as much as I am printing; you get the idea)
First there was the scare with the spinach, and then it was the lettuce…now tomatoes!! The experts tell you to eat all these fresh vegetables to remain healthy but it has gotten to the point that if we can’t grow it in our own backyard I don’t think we’ll buy it in the store or eat it in a restaurant. This Is REALLY SCARY STUFF! What IS safe anymore? Just food in sealed up cellophane bags with all the preservatives or fresh green leafy veggies? HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO EAT HEALTHY???
I don’t take this whole thing lightly at all, but I found the following rather humorous. Remember a month or so ago, Willie Nelson was arrested for having a baggie of marijuana on his bus? He was quoted as saying “Good thing it wasn’t spinach. I’d be dead by now.”
- Cathy Clementz
- A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!