Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, September 07, 2006

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT (Please put them back in!)?

It was a short night….

We all know that sound travels, especially on a clear night…especially when you are trying to sleep. It was cloudy last night, but the sound seemed to travel just as far anyway. I truly don’t mind listening to the coyotes yip and carry on during the night. That normally doesn’t last very long and even if it did, I CAN go back to sleep. But what really bothers me is listening to dogs bark, yap, and howl. These dogs are perfectly silent during the day but the minute the sun sets and the stars appear, they cut loose. There is a dog in charge, I’m sure of it. He’s the leader of this huddle of howlers, this gaggle of growlers, this bunch of barkers. From the sound of it, he and his partners live over on CR 407. They have had years of practice and have it down to a science. He knows EXACTLY when to start up, and the others follow his lead. Through his distinctive communication skills, he has advantageously engaged a dog that lives next door. This dog started his new job last night, about midnight. The instigator sounds like he must be a Beagle and he usually sounds like he is baying while running through OUR woods. While our woods ARE about 40 acres or so, it isn’t large enough that he should be running through it barking for hours on end. We assumed he was running deer, but I’m beginning to think he is in hot pursuit of night crawlers. He starts this particular activity only after he has managed to get all the other outside neighborhood dogs to join the choir. The others must be tied at home because his is the only “voice” we hear actually moving along. What I don’t understand is HOW the owners of these dogs SLEEP!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive