Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

NUTTIN MUCH

My trip to the Soo was uneventful, which is the way I like my trips to be (unless they are to Cedar Point). The highlight of my day was filling up by gas tank for 22 cents a gallon LESS in the Soo than it is in Newberry! I never thought I’d get excited about paying $2.71 for gas!

I told the surgeon that I have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon because I was having a lot of pain in my shoulder again. She thinks that maybe these bumps on my shoulder may be worse INSIDE and could be causing infection and swelling in my joint. At this point, I don’t know whether I want her to be right or wrong! These bumps have been there about 13 months and keep getting bigger. If they ARE causing the pain, hopefully it will be an easy “fix” and she can get it cleaned up and no more surgery will be needed.

When you go in for your pre-op, they do the blood work, the EKG, take your blood pressure, etc. My BP, 99% of the time is 120/84 or there about. Invariably, at the Drs office it is usually a bit higher and it is normally higher if anyone is having pain. I hadn’t taken my BP in a LONG time because I have never had an issue with it. The nurse told me that they were using these new wrist cuffs and were having a hard time getting use to them, so when she told me my BP registered 157/97 I about came out of my seat! This REALLY helped my BP. So, we tried it again a couple of minutes later on the right arm; it was 164/97! And THAT was the one she wrote down!!! I mentioned it to the Dr when she came in so she had them take it again with the old fashioned cuff. It registered 154/87. This is not something I wanted to see!!! Yes, I’m getting older, yes, I’m over weight and not as physically active as I could be, yes, I watch my salt intake, but I’ve not had an issue with my BP! When I got home, I put our rechargeable batteries on the charger so I could start monitoring my BP and see if I should be concerned. (Oh, and this is something that will really help you get your BP DOWN…and I am quoting the nurse “If you don’t get your BP down, your surgery will be postponed!”) Anyway, I took it this a.m. BEFORE I EVEN HAD A SIP OF COFFEE (I don’t know if that is a benefit or a detriment) and I’m 127/91, which I am NOT pleased about but it sure beats the pants off from 164/97! So my words of wisdom to share with you today; even if you have always had normal BP readings and you think that you are A OK, it IS something you should keep on top of. Some Drs offices will allow you to come in and have the nurse take your BP and not charge you while others do charge. If that is the case, it might be less expensive for you in the long run to buy a cuff for yourself. You can buy good ones for about $50.00. I still don’t think I have an issue with my BP, but I WILL monitor it and see how it goes…and YOU should check yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive