Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

ISSUES VS. PROBLEMS

Do you remember, oh, I guess it was in July, that I had courageously downloaded my updated version of Norton Internet Security, 2006? And I told you how LONG it had taken to get everything set up properly? I think I spent about 3 hours that day fussing with it. Well, guess what? NEXT year, if I even decide to STAY with Norton, they can just send me the darn CD!

Last week, I was having either computer problems or problems with my Wild Blue modem; I wasn’t sure which it was. Of course when you call anyone connected with Wild Blue, they tell you everything is peachy, it isn’t them…it has GOT to be you! They didn’t want to listen to my arguments about why NO, it did NOT have to be me. Then someone at our ISP provider told me that WB HAD had “issues” that weekend (is that a polite way of saying PROBLEMS??? She then referred me to a different tech who said “NO, there were no “issues” with WB that weekend or even recently!” (There was that word again; issues. Can you see yourself talking to someone who is visibly upset and instead of saying “Is there a problem?”, you would say “Is there an issue?”). He then proceeded to interview me as to what version of Windows I was using, what virus protection and as soon as I said “Norton” he got this evil grin on his face and started rubbing his hands together (well, that was the way I pictured him) and said “A-ha! THERE is your problem!! It is Norton that is at fault!! You must uninstall it and then RE-install it!” I actually thought maybe it WAS Norton because there had been some “issues” that I received email alerts about.

So I uninstalled it and then tried to connect to the Symantec site to re-install it. Well, guess what??!!! By this point I couldn’t connect AT all, either with WB OR plain old dial up. When I tried to use dial up I got a very weird message on ANY website pages that said “ACCESS DENIED!!” By this time I was TOTALLY TICKED. I had no virus protection AT all because I had uninstalled everything! This is by noon that all this is going on. I quickly called National Office Products in the Soo and asked them if they had ANYONE in the Newberry area that day that could pick up my computer and make it all better. YES, they DID!!! That meant I would be computerless until they returned it on Thursday (assuming they could fix it!). In the meantime, I called the manager of our ISP (also in the Soo) and told him what had happened, the error messages I was getting, etc, etc. He said “There is something wrong with your computer. There are no error messages like that. You have a virus on the Net. You could send your computer over here and we could fix it for you.” I explained that National was already out here and headed up the sidewalk to pick it up.

The next day, National called me to tell me there is NOTHING wrong with my computer, it checked out fine. They did 3 different virus scans and nothing showed up. They then proceeded to TRY to download my Norton again for me. Well, Symantec, in all their wisdom, would not let them download it, even with my product key which is supposed to be your savior in a case like this! They would allow them to download it with the order # and my credit card #. At this point, I would have offered my first born child.

My computer arrived Thursday morning, all ready to go. But then there is the matter of hooking up all those damn cables and wires (and ya know how I love that mess). I learned about 3 times ago to take a different colored felt marker and mark each one and mark the connection to correspond. I got it all hooked up and fired it up and Norton immediately told me my subscription had expired! I KNEW I still had over 311 days left on it!

I have spent about 6 hours of the past two days trying to get THAT “issue” resolved! I have re-entered my product key twice. The first time, it seemed to have corrected the problem (issue) and showed the correct expiration date. 5 hours later, I had expired again! I did the same thing and again, it corrected it. The next morning, I was expired again! I finally got on their website (compliments of a working Wild Blue modem which I have had to reboot about 2x) and found a customer service address to email the problem too. They sent me directions on what I’m supposed to do to make MY date and THEIR date jibe and I did it…and SO far this morning, I haven’t expired!

I can assure you that next year, a CD will be sent to me in the mail. I will NOT download any more programs, at least not important ones!

Now about the Wild Blue; I think that company has ISSUES! I do think there is something wrong with my modem because my business neighbors also use WB and they were not having “issues” at that time.

Stuff like this gives me a gut ache!

Coming up in the next day or two, I have a story about AIG insurance and what they are trying to do to my daughter. If any of you have any AIG insurance stories, I would LOVE to hear about them!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:25 AM

    SORRY CATHY, I SHOULD HAVE LEFT IT HERE: GET RID OF NORTON, WE USE eTRUST---EZ-ARMOR, WE GOT OURS AT BEST BUY, BUT MUCH NICER THAN SNORTON !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, Thanks for the info. I will check out EZ-Armor. Norton has been good for what it is supposed to do, but for installing it and then getting alerts that something is wrong with the program, THAT is a real pain! I don't like issues OR problems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:21 AM

    Cathy, I went through the same nonsense w/ Norton. I ultimately talked to "Mudjibean" and went step by step over the phone with the install process and we got it going. Renewal was a pain in the *** as well, but I will say, I have had ZERO issues with firewall or virus'. (At least none that I know of) They need to correct their "english translation" in the installation instructions. Sorry, but I cannot remember what the glitch was, but it was simple once the problem was found. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, sorry I'm just getting back to you, but I just got back from downstate.

    I love your "Mudjibean" story. Question for you; did you download it originally or purchase the CD?? I downloaded it and even with Wild Blue satellite, I think "things get lost in space" between point a and b. Progress??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive