Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, September 22, 2006

FAMILY UPDATE

Christy and Gene are finally home. There is nothing more that can be done for Gene except to take care of him and love him and let him enjoy the rest of his life.

Hospice has provided a hospital bed and Christy has friends and family to help with his care (and they are also trying to get HER to get some down time). Mom took their “little girls” (their Yorkie terriers) home for the first time in about a month. Gene and the girls had missed each other fiercely and it was quite a touching reunion; the little dogs were all over Gene, kissing his face and wagging their little tales…it brought a tear to everyone’s eyes.

It sounds like Gene had a very good first day at home. He is weak to the point that he cannot get out of bed let alone feed himself. Mom’s Amish neighbor baked Gene his favorite pie; peach and sent an apple pie along for Christy. Gene had a piece of the peach pie (all of the crust too!) and then had a good size slice of watermelon (his brother Jack even picked the seeds out for him…something he only does for his grandkids).

Christy and Gene are blessed with very good friends and family. As soon as I have my surgery and am able to travel, we will be going down. I am trying desperately to get my surgery date moved up; currently it is 10/12. If I was able to drive that far without the pain, I would be on the road right now. Dan can’t go now because one of us has to be here; we still have campers and cabin guests. We will be “turning away” reservations for any time after 10/13 so we can go down in hopes of having some time with Gene and being of some support for my sister. She is still trying to be brave and strong for everyone else. She needs to be able to “let down”.

Thank you again for the emails and posts. I have shared them with Christy.

On a brighter note; the fall colors are coming on in earnest now. Each day, the treeline along the woods changes. Keep checking the fall color report for updates and photos!

2 comments:

  1. hi cathy, i'm so sorry to hear about your sisters husband Gene. they are facing what we all will one day face and our hearts go out to them as well as our prayers. it sure would be nice if they could push up the surgery for you. take care you and your family will be in our thoughts. barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, Thank you.

    I am trying to get my surgery date moved up and I am first on a list (due to the circumstances) in case someone were to cancel. I wish I could drive myself 380 miles, but it is such a pain just to drive to the Soo, or even just sit here and type. We have too many campers who have made their vacation plans and it wouldn't be fair to them to just up and close right now, so that is why we can't both go at this time. At least after the 5th (IF I could have my surgery then), we would have about 1 weeks worth of campers left and I could be recuperating a bit through that week and then we could go. We have one guest who will be staying till the end of October, but he's been here often enough we could leave him with a key to the gate and he could "take care of himself" and make sure to keep the gate locked so no one else could come in.

    Thanks again, Barb.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive