Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, August 19, 2006

TURTLES OR TERDLES???

Many of you may recall, from previous posts, that we are the “proud” owners of a sewage lagoon…it came with the place, what can I say.

And for those of you just tuning in, if ya don’t know what a sewage lagoon is, I will tell you exactly as it is stated on the signs that are posted around the lagoon; FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DON’T KNOW WHAT THIS BODY OF WATER IS, IT IS A POOP POND. IT CONTAINS WATER AND WASTE FROM TOILETS, RV’S, SHOWER, LAUNDRY…well it is stated to that effect anyway. You get the idea.

Recreational vehicles dump their holding tanks and it eventually ends up in the lagoon. RV holding tanks usually contain strong chemicals to help keep the tanks “healthy” and smelling fresh and to help break down “stuff”. The chemicals eventually end up in the lagoon too which is why we are so surprised that turtles THRIVE in that environment. We have even had beaver problems and have had to get a permit from the DNR to eradicate the pesky critters. Not much we can do about the turtles; there are WAY too many of them!

Dan says the turtles are OVER abundant this year. It has been such a dry year and the depth of the lagoon is down substantially so maybe that is why the turtles have multiplied to this extent. BUT THEY ARE ALL OVER!!!

As I said, what amazes us is how they thrive and survive in that “environment” (I’m trying to be polite here and use SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE words). I have this fear that one morning we are gonna wake up and look out our dining room window and find out just exactly what “mutant Ninja turtles” really are. I think that is the main reason I grab a cup of coffee before I even look outside. I never know what to expect anymore, let alone where to expect it!



Dan has done an excellent job of getting the campground put back together after the 7/16 windstorm. It sure looks naked out there to me without all of those big trees. He even had to take out quite a few young cherry trees because they were badly damaged. Dan hopes maybe by next week to finally get started on the two huge trees behind the pole barn. He still hasn’t had a chance to get back to the nature trail and clean that up yet.

It won’t be long and I’ll start updating the Newberry area fall color report. You can find the report on our website at http://www.northcountrycampground.com/. We are seeing slight changes to the trees, but that is because they are stressed due to the lack of rain and the hot summer days. On our website, you will also see that we are offering “leaf peeper discounts”. I’ve had a new “box” added to the first page of our website where I can advise you of special deals and discounts that we will be offering at various times of the year. We still have plenty of camping spots for Labor Day too! If you reserve by August 25th, you will receive a 15% discount on a 3 night stay. Hope to see you up here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive