Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, August 25, 2006

THE RAIN, THE PARK AND OTHER THINGS

Talk about one extreme to the other! FINALLY, some RAIN!!! But it didn’t have to turn out so darn cold, did it??? We are up to 55 degrees right now! You can chortle if you want to and you can question why I would live any place that I’ve already had to change into long underwear and winter socks…but I DID!! HEY! I get horrible hives otherwise! This hive thing all started about 4 years ago. I never had a problem with hives before that. Now, anytime I get the least bit cold or the weather is damp, I get hives. I get them up and down my arms, on my hands (top and bottom and between my fingers), on my butt and thighs and on the bottom of my feet. It is just plain miserable! There isn’t a cure for it other than to take Benadryl for the itching, but I’d like to stay bright eyed, thank you very much. So, I just put on more clothing and wear what is called “arthritic gloves”. They are gloves originally intended for people who suffer from arthritis in their hands. The tips of the fingers and the thumb are “cut away” so the ends of your fingers and thumb are not covered…great for typing.

My Dad suffered from hives, but he would get them at the drop of a hat and he suffered with them for a long time, starting out with them at a much younger age than me. I just assumed it was all part of the repercussions of that illness he had when he was in his late 20’s (the one that left him paralyzed from the neck down for 3 months). I have NO clue as to why I get them, other than when because it is damp or cold or both.

One of the maple trees in the campground has about a 2’ square section that has turned red and orange. This happens every year, so I’m not getting excited and telling you it is gonna be an early fall. You need to remember the trees were very stressed again this year with the hot temps and lack of rain. Heck, some of our trees were down right frazzled! The 33 trees that came down on the July 16th storm in particular!

We thought things were slow earlier this summer…it is a downright stand still now! I don’t know how much the “going back to school after Labor Day” is really going to help the tourism economy, at least the U.P. economy. Some schools already have their first football game tonight! Families can’t exactly take that last big HOO-RAH 3 or 4 day trip if they’ve got a son playing football (can’t miss practice). I’ve been told by downstate friends that gas is down to $2.68 in some areas!!! That is just to lull you into a false sense of security so when Labor Day gets here, you won’t be surprised when it shoots back up to the $3.00 mark. Mackinac Bridge crossings are considerably down over last year. People are just staying closer to home.

I hope by next Wednesday to have a guest book linked to our website at http://www.northcountrycampground.com/. We still have water and electric sites and rustic sites open for the Labor Day weekend, so don’t forget you can make reservations online 24/7. We also have the Little Lodge open for that weekend too. Hope we can be a part of your plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive