Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, July 08, 2006

TOURIST QUESTIONS THRU' A YOOPER'S EYES

DOES IT EVER GET DARK HERE?

We get asked that question a LOT in the summer months. Then when it gets closer to winter, we hear “It gets dark so early! What do you do?? Isn’t that depressing?” HECK NO!! It is dark; it is time to go to bed!

Last evening, about 8 p.m. we were talking with some of our guests who are from Florida. She said “I can’t believe how late it stays light!! By now, we’d be watching the sunset. How do you guys get to sleep?” Our nights ARE pretty short for us, sleep wise, this time of year. We “make the rounds” about 10:15 (quiet time is 10 p.m.), then come back in and hope it is safe to get ready for OUR 5-6 hours of forty winks. Even though it isn’t getting light as early as it was even 10 days ago, the birds still start twittering about 4 a.m. and the bathhouse has to be tended to bright and early. I’m the early riser and Dan is the one who can stay up later. My theory really IS “If it is dark, it is time for bed!” I look forward to when we turn the clocks back in October! It is going to be tough for me when we start turning the clocks back in late November!! Doesn’t that take effect in 2007??? ARRGGGHHH. I really don’t see how that is gonna save a LOT of energy. But what do I know??


WHAT TIME DO THE FALLS CLOSE??

Now, I know in my heart this person had to have meant, “What time does the Falls Park close for the day?”, but that is not what was said. In my minds eye, I saw a stage curtain dropping down over the Falls; close of Act I.

DO THE FALLS EVER GET ANY BIGGER?

I think they wanted to know if the flow of water ever changes, which it does, depending on the amount of rain or melting snow.

HOW FAR IS IT TO PAINTED STONES?? HOW FAR IS IT TO PICTURED PEBBLES?

Hey, at least they knew it had something to do with a rock formation! (PICTURED ROCKS)

DO YOU EVER SEE THE OTHER LIGHTS??

After some questioning, what this person was trying to find out about was the NORTHERN lights! They were someone I could joke around with so before I narrowed down what they were really asking I explained to them “The only time I see the OTHER lights is in the winter when Dan is taking off his long underwear in the dark. It causes static electricity…THEN I see the “OTHER” lights!”

NEWBERRY IS THE MOOSE CAPITAL OF MICHIGAN SO WHERE CAN I SEE SOME ELK?

Simple mix up but a BIG difference in the animal! One of our guests saw a young moose at the head of the nature trail not too far from their campsite several years ago. She had gone to the bathhouse and noticed this “large deer standing over there”. By the time she’d cleared the cobwebs from her sleep deprived mind, she realized it was a young moose…then she was afraid to try to get back to her camper!

WHAT KIND OF NIGHT LIFE IS THERE IN YOUR AREA?

I explained to the potential guest that we haven’t had any bear problems in our park either day time or night time. You are more apt to have raccoon issues, or see a skunk or hear the coyotes yipping. And of course, there are owls and deer. The person who had asked this said “That isn’t what I meant….what is there to do in the area at night?” SO I WAS TOTALLY IN THE WRONG FRAME OF MIND WHEN I ANSWERED THAT QUESTION! I can’t help it! I’m a nature nut!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive