Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

HAPPY DAY AFTER THE NIGHT BEFORE!

NO ONE HERE BLEW A HAND OFF, LOST AN EYE OR STARTED A FIRE!!! Our guests didn't even need to leave here to see fireworks. Grass Skirt Man and others in the neighborhood put on quite a display...

It was exceptionally windy yesterday but was very pleasant otherwise. I’m sure a couple of our tent campers may disagree with part of that statement…about it being pleasant. They KNEW it was windy. They were trying to “disassemble” their tents and fold their tarps. It actually looked like they were trying to launch their tents and make a parasail or two out of their tarps. Anyone who has ever been in that situation (or trying to put UP a tent in that kind of wind), knows how frustrating it can be. Both of them finally gave up on nicely folding their tarps and just kind of wadded them up into a ball and stuffed them in the back of the truck. I can’t say as I blame them…but it is always entertaining to watch!

Last night, the temperature got down to the mid 40’s and is about 49° this a.m. It is expected to get up to 68 today. The Wizards are predicting above normal temps by the end of the week with some areas seeing up to 92°!! We still need rain. Dan and I have been carrying buckets of water to our Nairobi Willows and Chinese Elms in an effort to keep them growing. At least with as dry as it has been, they had to have developed a DEEP root base by now. When we purchased them, one of the deciding factors for us was that they DO tolerate lack of moisture better than other young trees…that and they are supposed to grow quickly and be fairly long lived.

I think we should start a betting pool on how much the price of gas will decrease now that the 4th is over and there are no hurricanes on the horizon just yet. Even the Tahquamenon Falls state park had campsites left this weekend and that is VERY unusual for this time of year. When the 4th of July falls on a Friday or a Monday it usually is a big deal in our area (as far as people traveling to our area) but when it falls any other day, we don’t notice so many travelers. I think it is going to be hard to say whether the price of gas or the day of the week that the 4th fell on was a bigger impact on the amount of people coming north. This is the first time since we built the Little Lodge that it has not been rented for the first part of July. The cabins were rented and have several more reservations for the cabins this month, but things are still very slow compared to years “gone by”.

For the past two days, we have not noticed any tree swallows! I can’t believe that they would have left already. I know they left early last year too, but not this early. Today actually could pass for a late August day.

Lots of people checking out today so I’ll have lots of campsites to mow! And WHAT a relief it is having that mower work properly now!

And I leave you with this:

SIGN POSTED ABOVE URINALS AT A COUNTRY CLUB:
This is the only place that no on tells me how to improve my stance or hold my club.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive