Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

FOLLOW UP TO THE NOT SO PERFECT STORM

I’ve had emails asking about the damage to the campground and if that actually was all the trees that we lost. WE LOST ABOUT 30 TREES IN THE CAMPGROUND. There are others that are damaged badly enough that they will have to be taken out for safety reasons. We still haven’t made it back into the woods and the nature trails to see how bad it is back there. I hate to even look.

There was the photo of the tree that came down on a tent. On another site, one of our guests had trees come down on all 4 sides of her tent, but never touched the tent. She was due to check out that morning but she must’ve been pretty shook up. We discovered that she left behind a Hamilton Beach Brewing Station coffee maker. I have one of those and I LOVE it. They aren’t cheap so I’m sure as soon as she notices she doesn’t have it that she’ll be calling to have it sent to her. I’ll just have to come up with a big enough and tough enough box! They are pretty good sized.

It was still off and on rainy yesterday most of the day so Dan couldn’t start any tree cutting till late yesterday afternoon. We had another storm come through around 12:30 p.m. today but fortunately there wasn’t anything to it…at least not here. We heard Chippewa County, north of the Soo, got hit pretty hard. Dan is trying to get the tree off the swings so we can “secure” those so no one gets hurt. Sometime later today, the logger neighbor, Mic McNamara is supposed to come down and see what kind of “damage” (by that I mean making a big dent in our clean up effort with his big logging equipment) he can do. What a mess…..

We had to buy a new gas grill for one of the cabins because the wind blew one of them to smithereens. (I always wondered where smithereens was…now I know). It tore the lid right off and that ended up at the south end of our property, tipped the grill over (remember from previous stories the grills are chained to the deck??) and sucked the “guts” out of it. I’m glad the lid didn’t end up smashing a cabin window out! Or hitting the guest’s car!!

One thing that has amazed me about all the wind damage was this light weight sign we have in our yard asking guests to please use the sidewalk; it isn’t weighted down at all. It isn’t secured to the ground by any means. It is in a sign frame which sits on top of the ground. THAT THING DIDN’T MOVE AN INCH! Uprooted 100 year old pine trees and firs, but the sign is fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive