Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

NUTTIN' MUCH

3 nights ago, we had an 80% chance of rain…nothing happened. Oh there was a rumble of thunder but that was it. 2 nights ago, 60% chance, nadah. Ditto for last night. It rains all around our area but hasn’t hit us yet. WE ARE SO DRY. ALL THAT IS GROWING IS BUCKHORN, QUACK GRASS AND WEEDS I CAN’T IDENTIFY! I hate to mow when it is this dry, but the weeds do not a pretty campsite make. In areas of the campground where there is more shade and clay ground, the grass is still green and lush..and growing like crazy.

This morning the Weather Wizards are talking about all the heavy storms and heavy rain DOWNSTATE and not much going on AGAIN for our area. We don’t want hail, locally damaging winds, etc, but we sure could use some rain!! The sky looks very threatening, but it has done that before (kind of like it does in the winter when the Wizards predict snow and it doesn’t happen) and nothing develops. Possibly if I went outside with a kite and a skeleton key attached to the end of the string and managed to get it airborne??? Maybe if I decided to wash the Escape? Hung out some freshly washed laundry?? Opened all the windows and left for an hour or two??

The ONLY good thing about being this dry is the bug situation. It is not bad at all…unless you have a fear of wolf spiders. THEY ARE SO PLENTIFUL!!! I’m sure there are other insects that are plentiful, but we all know how I feel about these particular creatures that God felt duty-bound to have on earth.

And what is up with Newberry Water and Light?? Two times yesterday the power went off and quickly came back on…ya know the type of out-age, right? The one that requires you to re-set all of your clocks?? And when there is a power disruption our Select Comfort bed makes a high pitched alert sound which scares Nick (the dog) out of his bloomers. (He would ward off an intruder as long as they didn’t carry some kind of a high pitched alarm. If that happens, we might as well just open the door and let ‘em in). During the night, the power went off, the bed “alarm” alerted and Nick scrambled for safety. Dan managed to find his way to the bedroom without injuring any toes or his knee. He’d been in the living room watching TV. I have no idea how long the power was off. It did eventually come back on. I could tell because behind my eyelids was the flashing blue number 12:00, 12:00, 12:00. I didn’t get up to reset the clock; I tried to ignore the flashing blues. A while later the power went off again and so did Nick. Again, no idea how long it was off. It did come on just about daylight and has been on since…and I did reset all the clocks.

Since I started writing this, the threatening looking sky no longer looks threatening. Why am I not surprised? I think I’ll wash the car and mow some grass. OH, and when I’m done, just for the heck of it, I think I’ll go fly a kite.

Won’t see ya again till probably Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive