Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

THE REST OF THE STORY...

I'm a bit calmer now so thought I would finish the ATV almost hit and run story....

About midnight, I was awakened by the sound of loud voices. It sounded like people arguing. I could tell it wasn’t coming from the campground, but from next door. I heard an ATV running. Someone(s) finally got on the ATV and pulled out onto the road and headed south slowly. We are on M-123 which is a State Highway…not a 4 lane highway but a State Highway which means ATV’s cannot ride the road. Even if they were riding where it IS allowed, it definitely was after sunset.

Next thing I hear is the ATV coming barreling up M-123 headed north. I don’t know the top speed of an ATV, but I think they had attained it. It sounded like it went up the road about a mile before it made the return trip south going just as fast. I heard them pull off the road some place south of us and thought “GOOD!! This is the end of it!” I was wrong. They took off again and did the same thing, only on the return trip south, they pulled into the campground. I decided it was time to get the police involved. While I was on the phone with 911, Dan was out in the campground trying to stop these fools. This IS a private campground; it IS private property. They were trespassing and not only had they awakened us, we were concerned what our camping guests would think and hoped that they didn’t inadvertently “get involved”.

The ATV made a loop of the campground and started to come back up to the front. Dan was waiting for them. They stopped but not quite where Dan was standing. Dan proceeded to walk up to the ATV. They quickly took off, making a sharp right turn back onto one of the campground roads. They almost ran him down. They made another pass through the campground before heading out onto M-123. On their way out, they almost hit our big, steel gate.

They were finally caught and the female driver was arrested. I’m not positive but I think the ATV was impounded.

It has taken the Michigan Snowmobile Association and local Michigan snowmobile associations a LONG, LONG time to try to help educate snowmobile riders and finally see some results. I TRULY hope that the SORVA organization (for ATV’s and ORV’s) can become a statewide organization and make a HUGE impact on the types of problems and issues that are plaguing the sport of ATV’s. ATV’s are here to stay but they need to do so safely. There are too many senseless deaths; way too many kids getting killed or injured, too much property destruction and trespassing problems.

I am waiting for info from the local SORVA group to share with you. I’m hoping they will have something for me that is going to put a positive spin on this sport because so far, all you have heard from ME is about all the accidents. As popular as this sport has become, there must be a good reason why. We need both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive