Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

GRANDPA'S MAD BOMBER CAP

I decided today that it was finally time to take the flannel sheets off the bed, put the heavy winter socks and long underwear away as well as the various types of out door winter coats and caps. After all, it has been in the 60’s for a couple of days now. Maybe we’re safe at this point.

One thing about being a Yooper woman, you don’t have to worry about being a fashion plate. Flannel is particularly fetching in the winter, as are stocking caps, double lined mittens with break away thumbs and coats that zip up to your nose. But, I have a quandary with stocking caps; if I’m outside working (opposed to being inside working and wearing a stocking cap!), they tend to ride up above my ears. I’m constantly pulling them back down…major nuisance. While putting the winter garb away, I came across a cap my Grandpa First had given me when I was a kid; I BEGGED him to let me have that cap (he’d had it as a boy). This cap won’t ride up above your ears because it ties TIGHTLY Under the chin. The tie is fashioned from what looks to be a strip of cowhide that had been beaten with rocks in an effort to make it soft and supple. When that didn’t work, I think the hat maker just said “To hell with it” and starched the ties. This strap, when tied properly sometimes interferes with freedom of speech. Your jaw becomes somewhat constrained and, for the most part, the wearer of the cap talks through clenched teeth.

Anyway, I found it in my collection of winter stuff, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out what the big attraction was, let alone why I’d want to be seen out in public wearing it. It is made out of some kind of animal hide and I think Grandpa had told me it was rabbit. It kind of reminds you of what pilots wore in the early years.

I think during its life time as a hat a dog had probably attacked it; either out of anger or terror or both. I didn’t remember there being a “bare” spot which left a patch of exposed hide (where the frightened K-9 had attacked it…I hope Grandpa wasn’t wearing it at the time!) but there it was and it is UGLY. Needless to say, I put it back where I found it and will continue to wear my normal, KNIT stocking cap. Maybe one of my Grandkids will beg me for it??? Nah, I doubt it. Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive