Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, May 20, 2006

BARBARO

There are all kinds of tears and all kinds of heartaches, but the tears and the heartaches today center around the injured Barbaro. This is a horse that wants to run, wants to race. Even after his jockey pulled him up, Barbaro wanted to run, he wanted to finish that race, even if it meant on three legs.

Many of us were hopeful that there would be a Triple Crown Winner. This horse has the heart and desire; you can see it in his stride, you can see it in his eyes. And now, it looks like his career is over…just like that.

As I am writing this, they are still showing replays on TV, but I can’t watch it. All of us that have a heart ache over this is minor compared to the heart of that horse and the fact that he was taken away in an equine ambulance. Now, they’ll have to sedate him to get the X-rays. Hopefully it is “just” a broken ankle and he won’t be put down. As crazy as this may sound to some of you, I feel so very sorry for Barbaro. I don’t feel sorry for the owners, the trainer, the jockey. It was Barbaro’s heart and desire that got them this far and he may never, ever be able to run again. I pray that he will be allowed to live the rest of his life to a ripe old age in a grassy paddock. And who knows? Maybe all of this is premature on my part; maybe it’ll be a “simple” injury and Barbaro WILL run a race again.

Regardless, great horses like Barbaro don’t come along every day and I believe that everything happens for a reason…but I’m having a difficult time coming up with a good reason for this to happen when there was so much hope and so much promise for Barbaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive