Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, April 30, 2006

ONE OF THE JOYS OF BEING A CAMPGROUND OWNER

If you read my poem, Da Second Mont of Being a Campground Owner, you may remember I mentioned that Dan was working in da sewage lagoon. (BTW, I AM working on the “how we began” with our business.) One of our nightmares WAS (still is at times) this sewage lagoon. That story will be published at a later time. Anyway, this photo shows you our lovely sewage lagoon but what I want to point out to you is the sign on the fence. The lagoon is back in the woods close to the nature trail, so it is visible to our guests who venture back on the trail.

First let me explain that we are required to have a ‘DANGER! KEEP OUT!” type of sign every 100’ around the lagoon. We have had signs up for several years that say “DANGER! SEWAGE LAGOON!! KEEP OUT!” We continued to have people trying to climb the fence or trying to break in the gate, so we added “POISEN IVY” to the sign (which there wasn’t any but hoped it might help!). THAT didn’t help. FINALLY, someone asked us “What is a sewage lagoon?” This person pronounced it as SO-AGE. It finally dawned on us that maybe people didn’t have a clue as to what a sewage lagoon is! We started asking people if they knew what it was and they didn’t. (For those of you who aren’t sure how to pronounce it, it is pronounced like Sue-age).

I contemplated for many days, what can we put on a sign so people will know what it is? It had to be PG rated. I finally came up with the phrasing and called the company that makes custom signs for us. I explained to the customer service rep, “Before I even tell you what I want on this sign, I need to explain to you WHY, otherwise you’ll think I’m nuts!”. After I explained all of it, I placed my order for 5 signs that read “FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DON’T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS, THIS BODY OF WATER IS A POOP POND. IT IS WASTE WATER FROM TOILETS, SHOWERS, ETC. STAY OUT!” These signs are placed close to the original “DANGER! SEWAGE LAGOON” signs.

Since putting these signs in place, we haven’t had anyone trying to get on the other side of the fence! And at the sign company, I am known as the Poop Pond Lady! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:54 AM

    'Poop Pond' That is the funniest thing I have ever heard of! Good for you Cathy!

    Have a great day!
    Angela Sweebe
    Midland, MI

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been so many "incidents" that I would like to publish, but some of them are NOT exactly PG rated and some are the kind that you "had to be there".

    Thanks for taking the time to post! I appreciate it!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive